An outdoor deck is becoming an increasingly important asset to the homeowner and family because it provides a perfect space to enjoy the good life in the outdoors day or night. So it’s important to find a qualified deck builder who can construct this new outdoor living space for you.
The search involves five simple steps.
Step one involves asking relatives, friends and neighbors about contractors who have worked for them. Try talking to staff at the home improvement retail outlets for deck builder contractors that they recommend.Try contacting your local home builder association for a list of recommended deck building contractors. And finally, look in the Yellow Pages for companies that specialize in deck building.
Once you have decided upon at least three companies to provide you with a deck estimate complete step two. This involves checking with the Better Business Bureau to discover if they are members. Arrange for a time when each of these deck builders can come to your home and discuss your project. Explain clearly when they arrive what you want in terms of deck shape, dimensions, materials to be used, railing type, stair type and placement as well as any special features that you wish built.
In step three ask the deck builder to provide customer references for projects similar to yours. Make a point to call these homeowners. Ask them if the work was done properly and if the work was completed on time. Ask if the project was completed on budget and find out if any follow-up work was required. Inquire if the follow-up work was done satisfactorily. Determine if these customers would hire the contractor again.
Most importantly, go and see for yourself the work done by this deck builder on projects that are similar to yours.
Step four deals with ensuring that you are protected from any risks:
1. Check to see that the deck builder has a registered, Deck Installation Newton MA legitimate business license.
2. Ensure that the contractor has business liability insurance in case he or she damages your home or a neighbor’s or causes an injury to a third party like your neighbor.
3. Make sure that the deck builder has worker compensation coverage to protect against the risk of claims or financial loss if a worker is injured on your project.
4. Ensure that the contractor’s written warranty specifies what is covered and for how long.
5. Make sure that the contractor’s name, address, telephone number and business license number are on the contract.
6. Check that the contract contains a full description of the work to be done as well as the materials and products to be used in the construction process.
7. Ensure that the contract states when the work will start and when it will be completed.
Step five involves making sure that a building permit is obtained for the project by the contractor. This will automatically guarantee that the local building codes are complied with and that a local building inspector will visit at required intervals to check on the progress and quality of your deck’s construction.
Following these five steps will make the construction process stress free because you will have found a good deck builder qualified to do the job professionally and honestly and who will completed the project to your satisfaction.